Department of Nervous and Mental Diseases (1919-1926),
renamed Department of Neurology and Psychiatry (1926-1946)
In 1910, George A. Young. Sr., MD, opened a private practice in Omaha. In 1912, he joined the Department of Nervous and Mental Diseases at Creighton University, where he was chair of the department until 1916. During this period, he was also an instructor in the Department of Nervous and Mental Diseases at the University of Nebraska College of Medicine. In 1917, he joined the UNMC faculty full-time and became chair in 1919, serving 27 years in the position. Under his leadership, the department went through several transitions along with the university’s growth, including a change of name in 1926 to the Department of Neurology and Psychiatry.