The Distinguished Service Award is given to individuals or organizations that have demonstrated outstanding support for UNMC through personal service, private contributions, or other meritorious advocacy for the campus mission.
2021Nebraska's Public Health Directors
2020Anne Hubbard, MD
2015Senator Mike Johanns
Senator Ben Nelson
2014Duane and Phyllis Acklie
2013Bruce R. Lauritzen, MBA
2012Fred and Eve Simon
2010Clarence L. “C.L.” Werner
Paul and Lori Hogan
An honorary degree is the highest award the University of Nebraska can bestow. Candidates do not need to have a former connection to UNMC or the state of Nebraska to qualify, but rather meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Distinguished service to UNMC or the University of Nebraska.
- Distinguished service to the state.
- Graduates, former students, or former employees who have achieved high distinction.
- Persons of high distinction, distinguished achievement, and national recognition.
2023Iftikher Mahmood, MD
2022Robert Kadlec, MD
2021William Mobley, MD, PhD
2020Doyt L. Conn, MD
Darrell Kirch, MD
Jordan Cohen, MD
Lois Nora, MD, JD
Sina Bavari, PhD
2015Janet Gilsdorf, MD
Thomas Novotny, MD
The J. G. Elliott Award is given annually to an individual who has made significant contributions to medicine and health programs in Nebraska. The award was established in 1978 and supported by Mr. and Mrs. James Massey in memory of John (Jack) Elliott, a former Scottsbluff resident who served on the University of Nebraska Board of Regents for 20 years. Nominations are submitted to the UNMC Chancellor for recommendation to the President of the University of Nebraska and Board of Regents. Nominees are evaluated on the following criteria:
- A Nebraska resident who has made a significant contribution to the health of the state through his or her actions.
- Statewide impact with contributions in the areas of education, research, and community outreach.
- The individual's actions improve individual and community health.
The health contributions are beyond the scope of work-related activities.
Bob Bartee, MA
2022Shannon Engler, MS
2021Gary Anthone, MD
Philip W. Smith, MD
2020Roger Reamer, MBA
2019Catherine Jones-Hazledine, PhD
James Smith, MD
2018Gail Walling Yanney, MD and Michael Yanney
2017Nancy Thompson, MA
2016Margaret Brink, MS